Monday, January 27, 2014

what's it all about, Alfie?

Alfred Lyle is almost 2 weeks old and I can't believe it! Everyday I feel like I just need to keep staring at him to make sure he's real. I make sure to look at his hands, his toes, his back hair, kiss his noes, tickle his ear...all to get my daily fix. He sure is precious. 

I've gotten a few questions about his name, so I thought I would share a bit about why we chose it. His middle name Lyle is Addison's grandpas name. We have had the opportunity to live with Lyle twice during our married life and are great friends. He is the only surviving grandpa between Addison and I, and to say we adore him would be an understatement. We love everything Lyle stands for. We lie his sense of humor, his endurance, and most of all his testimony. We have always known we were going to have the name "Lyle" somewhere in our children's names.

As far as Alfred goes, I first heard the name at work in the grotto! I got to meet a lot of kids with my fishy friend, and a lot of the time I was shopping for names! I met a little sweet British girl named Alfie when I was a couple months pregnant and didn't know if I was having a boy or girl yet. I totally fell in love with it-especially in a British accent.

We loved the name Freddy from the beginning. My grandpas name was Fred, so the name holds a certain fondness for me. I wasn't in love with the name Frederick, though. So when I suggested the name Alfred to Addison, it was the best of both worlds. 

The more we looked into the name, the more we fell in love with it! It quite literally means leader of the elves. Being a Lord of the Rings fan, I obviously had no issues with this. We also found this song from the 1970's film, Alfie (which is terrible btw, don't watch it.) But the song and the message are marvelous. 
"What's it all about, alfie?

Is it just for the moment we live?
What's it all about when you sort it out, alfie?
Are we meant to take more than we give
Or are we meant to be kind?
And if only fools are kind, alfie,
Then I guess it's wise to be cruel.
And if life belongs only to the strong, alfie,
What will you lend on an old golden rule?
As sure as I believe there's a heaven above, alfie,
I know there's something much more,
Something even non-believers can believe in.
I believe in love, alfie.
Without true love we just exist, alfie.
Until you find the love you've missed you're nothing, alfie.
When you walk let your heart lead the way
And you'll find love any day, alfie, alfie."


We've decided this is kind of his ballad for life. We hope our kids know that it's important to be kind, to give back, and lead with your heart.












1 comment:

RSP said...

He's been to the park already?! Go supermom! And I love the name.