Monday, January 20, 2014

a labor of love.

today is our sons due date, but much to his mother's delight, he decided to show up 5 days early! honestly, the timing could not have been better if i had planned it out myself. and i know that it was all The Lord's doing. the entire week before i was in agony. acid reflux set in hard core, I had so many sleepless nights, pinched nerves, a 3rd kidney infection...etc. it was the worst week of my entire pregnancy, and as much as I wanted the baby to be here to end my pain, I kept praying it away because I knew I wouldn't have the strength to give birth yet! I had an awesome day on Monday, felt better than I had in weeks, we picked up my mom from the airport at midnight that night, and then I had the BEST nights' rest I'd had in weeks! Tuesday morning, I woke up with steady labor contractions. what. are. the. odds.

I knew these contractions were different than what I'd felt before. and they were 5-15 minutes apart. I had an ultrasound scheduled that morning, so i went in and let them know and they checked me really quickly just in case! the ultrasound tech could not even get far enough down to get a measurement of his head because he was sitting sooooo low, haha! she estimated an 8 lbs 6 oz baby! whew! I was dilated to a 2 now, and my cervix was very soft. she said i wouldn't make it to the weekend. so we went home and got to work! after 3 looong walks, a trip to Panera, and lots of stopping to catch my breath, we left to the hospital at 7 PM :)

I walked into the hospital, refused a wheelchair ;) i'm hardcore like that. then I told them I wanted a natural childbirth. I'm really hardcore. I was dilated to a 4 at that point and because I wanted to go natural, they didn't admit me quite yet, and sent me off walking to get further along. I changed in the bathroom, came out, sat down, and pop! my water broke! YES! i dunno what it is, but i really wanted to feel my water break. I guess I felt like that would make it more real? like there was no turning back after that, and I was truly in labor.

I was admitted and the contractions got a lot harder and longer after that. at 9:30 I was dilated to a 6 and opted for that lovely epidural. and it was the bomb. seriously. by the time i got it, i was shaking so bad from contractions i could barely hold still for them to put the epidural in right! i was pretty proud at how far i made it. once i got the epidural i was checked every few hours. i watched "the hobbit" and took a few naps. i progressed so steadily that i never had to have pitocin-which i was super grateful for. honestly, everything had been so calm and relaxed up to this point, i couldn't have asked for a better labor. i was so at peace. at about 3 AM i started to get a hot spot in my epidural, but i was fully dilated, so we just decided it was a good thing to be able to feel when the contractions were coming to help me know when to push. after 2 hours of pushing, things started to get a bit hairy :( baby was stuck and couldn't quite make the turn around my low pelvic bone. so my hours of pushing really weren't getting me anywhere. they set up a mirror for me to see the baby's head, complete with full head of hair to get me motivated. there was talk about vacuums and C-sections, which freaked me out, but in the end, once the doctor came in and really got me re-motivated, sweet Alfred Lyle was born at 6:12 AM. after a 23 hour labor, i was so relieved! it was the most physically exhausting thing I've ever done in my life. i've never been so aware of my weaknesses, and in awe of my strength. what an odd combination. i had 2 episiotomies and finally had a level 4 tear :( but I am grateful it didn't come to a C-section.

Addison cut the cord, and they placed that beautiful, purple, rubbery, body on my chest. i just bawled. Little Alfie cried for a few breaths and then calmed right down in my arms. he was wide eyed and staring at me. he got a strong grip on my finger and wouldn't let go! his long fingers kept nestling under my chin and in my neck, and he was drooling everywhere! his poor squished head was pretty misshapen and red. the nurses did everything right there, he didn't leave my arms for a good hour before they actually measured him and gave him shots. he was 8lbs even and 20 3/4 inches long. such a healthy size!

the next few hours are a deliriously blissful blur.

 pretending to have a contracion...
 rub the contraction awayyyyyy!
 daddys first hold.
 gmas first hold.
 his favorite spot/his first manicure-thanks gma!


Carli Schneider said...

He is absolutely precious! I am so proud of you! Sounds like it was a lot of work! He is lucky to have the two of you! XOXOXO

Jane Anne said...

Oh I feel you on the hot spot and the level four tear! Our babies were basically the same size And so much of your labor sounded familiar:). Alfie is perfect. Congrats!

Andrew and Gina said...

Congrats to you both! What a beautiful family.

RSP said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry! Guess I was totally wrong- sounds like the early labor was just easier for you! Hope you're healing and enjoying that sweet boy.