Wednesday, February 29, 2012

truly important.

You won't believe it but, I actually have more good news. Whenever I tell people I'm a Musical Theatre major, or that I do theatre they always ask, "what is your dream role?" For a long time, I never knew what to say, I had many roles I would love to play, but none that I considered, "a dream". I figured for something to be a dream role, it couldn't just mean that you got to belt all your favorite notes and have a good time, the play itself would have to strike a chord with you in meaning. The character wouldn't just get to look pretty and fall in love; she'd get to learn something, she'd be a challenge to play, she'd have flaws, obstacles to overcome. I figured my dream role out somewhere in the span of my sophomore year: "Nellie" from Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific. What a beautiful story. Such a gorgeous way of exploring raw prejudices and finding something in yourself to overcome them and to simply love others. Well, I'm proud to say, I will get to fulfill a dream! I'll be playing Nellie at Centerpoint Legacy Theatre! I'm ecstatic.

We teach the 5 year old class in our church on Sundays. We have one child who we have a really difficult time with, you know the ones. Doesn't talk except to put the other kids down, makes noises the entire lesson, won't heed a word that you say, moves his chair all around...just difficult. This Sunday, he voluntarily spoke to us! The first sentence he had to say went something like: "My mom took me to a movie this week. I liked it, but she thought it was gay." What do you say to that! Addi and I were so shocked that a 5 year old was using this word that I'm sure he had no idea what it meant, and most of all, his mother had taught him it. He may not have known that gay means a homosexual person, but he was aware that he liked that movie, and that his mother did not, therefore she called it "gay". That bad connotation, he'll certainly remember. We proceeded to tell him that that wasn't the best word to use, and he got pretty confused-if his mother had used this word, what was bad about it? 
South Pacific may be dealing with the issue of racial prejudice, but their are much more prevalent prejudices in society today. This is why I am so excited to do this show: to share a message of love for everyone, no matter their differences. There is a song in the show called, "You've Got To Be Carefully Taught". It goes like this:

 You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!

This song is the blunt and simple truth to this show, and I hope it makes people think about their own prejudices, whatever they might be. This is why I do theatre! For shows like this that come around. I just can't believe I have the opportunity to tell this story.

5 comments:

Oakleybear said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! When is the play? I will definitely come see it. That is my favorite musical!!

favoritenic said...

if there were a "like" button, i'd push it a lot for this post. you two truly emit so much light wherever you are. thank you for sharing your hearts with everyone.

Taylor said...

Love

SamanthaZ said...

I'm in primary too and it is crazy the things that kids say, they observe and listen to adults so much more than we realize. I bet you two are awesome primary teachers. P.s. I am seeing Xanadu at the hale on Saturday!

Emchillada said...

YAY! Congrats Bre!