Thursday, August 25, 2011

here we go again.

Well, what can I say? It's been Add and i's last first week of school. This time around has been different than anytime before. I'm more...focused on what I want from this last chance, more settled, I wouldn't say more nervous...but there's a different kind of nervousness there. In this major (musical theatre), I think, more than many majors I know of, you really decide how much you want to grow. You decide how much you're going to open up, be willing to learn and try something new EVERY DAY OF CLASS. I have very few sit down, write notes, lecture classes. Most every class of mine requires preparation everyday to perform something new in front of all your peers the next. In the most incredible class ever-Acting for Musical Theatre, by the first 15 minutes I had a red rash looking thing forming on my chest from all the blood rising to my head! I'd forgotten over the summer how much guts this takes every single day. 

Auditions also began yesterday-three days into the semester! Poor freshman...Addison and I felt pretty good about our singing audition-we'll see how dancing, skating, and monologue-ing go today. Pray for us!

I think one of the scariest things I get asked-especially now so close to graduation is-"oh...musical theatre? that sounds fun...and what are you going to do with that?" I think I've figured out my most generic answer possible, so as not to get totally bugged: "Well, we'd like to perform for as long as possible...and then who knows? Our ultimate goal is to open up our own theatre in Utah." Hmmm...vague enough?? It's supposed to be! One thing I love about the arts-that has always clicked with me, unlike math or science, is that there is never one right answer. That's the reason I chose my major! Because I wouldn't be stuck in the same job for the rest of my life-it would always be changing-hopefully progressing. That I could be wherever the Lord wants me for whatever amount of time and develop all different kinds of skills. The possibilities are endless: working on cruise ships, Disneyworld/land, summer stock, NYC, Chicago, London, LA, dinner theatre (we just watched "Connie and Carla" last night-I had to add it!), teaching, private instructor, director, choreographer, music director, movies, tv shows, live theatre. I probably will not get to do 1/2 of these things in my lifetime-but if I get to do one-that makes my major worth it to me. 

Our goal is to stay prayerful as we always have about every opportunity and see where the Lord takes us. What else could anyone else ask for?

4 comments:

Sarah Knowles said...

Jason and I want to start our own theatre too!! But I totally know what you mean. It's hard to tell people what you want to do with your major when the field is pretty unpredictable. I usually tell people, "I'm not sure. The Lord hasn't presented that opportunity yet."

TyandMar said...

You guys are awesome! There are MILLIONS of things you can do with creativity! :)
Good luck with school this semester! Can't wait to come see you guys in more shows.

Melwel said...

Perfect answer....smile!

Lindsea Garside said...

You are so awesome. I love you and Addy so much. I know you will always be doing what makes you happy and what pleases the Lord. You two are wonderful. And I'm so glad you are a MT major.