Thursday, February 17, 2011

My food dilemma

So, now two months into married life, I get asked all the time, "so how's married life?" And honestly? I have no complaints! Addison and I's biggest problem is making food for two. We went grocery shopping a couple weeks after we were married, and wandered around unsuccessful. We finally went home and decided we had to do some research. It sounds so silly! But we've both been brainstorming inexpensive, healthy meal ideas for only two. It is harder than you think! This last trip to the grocery store, we experimented. Maybe a little more than we should have. 
But yesterday I think we succeeded :)
Addison and I crafted the perfect meal.
 We started off with salad, with balsamic and olive oil for dressing (thank you for the advice biggest loser) with roma tomatoes.
 We sauteed our frozen chicken to go into our food storage rice-a-roni :)
And then because I was feeling extra crafty, I made chocolate milk. Grains, vegetables, meat, fruit (crazins in the salad), and dairy! It was delicious. Huzzah, I feel like such a good wifey.

"We're artsy! Of course we can cook!"

PS-Any recipes for us to try? I'm beggin!

6 comments:

Jane Anne and Colby said...

Haha the food dilemma. Then it gets to the point where you can only think of like 6 meals that you rotate. ANYWAY here is one that I like - super easy
Chicken Taco Soup
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies (un-drained)
1 can corn (drained)
1 can black beans (drained)
1-2 chicken breasts
2 cups chicken broth
1 packet taco seasoning

throw it in the crock pot and come home to it, shred the chicken, and eat! Or you can do it on the stove top
throw some sour cream and cheese on top if you want + some chips = mmmm. Really good on cold days.

Ok, I'm done now. Love you Bre!

Aussiemuminthekitchen said...

I remember that being an adjustment also. Here is something I do...since we are still cooking mostly for two or 2.5 ish. I ALWAYS plan my menu. If you get paid every two weeks try and plan a menu for two weeks. Then make your grocery list based only on those meals and of course lunches and snacks and off you go. I rememebr walking around the grocery store with my Brad lost and spending way more than necessary because we hadn't "planned". I use inspiration from food blogs, tried and true recipes,magazines, cookbooks, tv shows etc. Then to save mula I only cook every second day. So one night I cook and then the next night we have left overs and then it repeats. It not only saves time when you have a crazy schedule but it does help with money and all that extra food. It works for us...thought i'd share. Good luck!

Aussiemuminthekitchen said...

Oh and a couple more things...don't be affraid to freeze left overs and if you can get savy with using a crockpot. There is nothing easier than throwing a few simple ingrediants into a crockpot letting it cook while you are busy and then coming home to ready made dinner that might just need a vegie and some rice or pasta to add to it.

Aussiemuminthekitchen said...

I have LOADS of easy recipes on my blog...feel free to take a gander.

Steph said...

I hate cooking for two! Its such a struggle, but I am finding myself having to cook that way more often as the kids get busier and aren't always home for dinner.

Here's an easy one...
Canned chicken
Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce
Whole Wheat Hamburger buns

Mix the chicken with BBQ sauce (how much depends on how saucy you like your BBQ chicken). Heat in a saucepan over medium heat until heated through. Serve on buns with a salad.

Quick and easy!

cindylori said...

do you have a crock pot?? i have NO time to cook. and this is the easiest thing in the book.
put some frozen chicken in (like 3 breasts?) with a can of salsa. and then add like a tablespoon of brown sugar. leave it on high for like 3 hours. and it pulls apart like magic. it is sooo good, we make it seriously everyweek! :) lovies!! can't wait to see you saturday!!